Jon began his practice in 2001 as a litigation associate in New York for a large international law firm. While practicing in New York, Jon represented financial institutions and public corporations (including three of the Fortune 10 companies) in a variety of matters including securities and business litigation, International Chamber of Commerce arbitrations and investigations conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission and various United States Attorneys’ offices. Jon also participated in several appellate matters, including appeals before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and an appeal to New York’s highest state court of an insurance law ruling determining whether a US company could obtain excess coverage in connection with hundreds of thousands of personal injury claims.
Jon returned to Kentucky in 2008 and joined Tachau Meek, where he represents clients in a wide variety of business and government law matters. Jon’s practice focuses on complex litigation and he has represented business owners, elected officials, special purpose governmental entities, financial institutions, property developers, insurers, fiduciaries, neighborhood associations and other clients in matters involving contractual disputes, professional negligence claims, insurance coverage disputes, employment-related claims, election law, lender liability, fiduciary duties, trust and estate claims, non-compete provisions, healthcare services, taxing authority, government contracts, construction and real estate disputes and planning and zoning issues.
AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell®
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2022
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, 2017-2021
Kentucky Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2015
“Forty Under 40,” Business First, 2010
Jon received his undergraduate degree from Washington University in St. Louis (BA, Social Thought and Analysis, with honors, 1997) and his law school degree from New York University School of Law (JD, cum laude, 2001).
- Court Admissions+
Jon is admitted to the New York (2002) and Kentucky (2008) bars, and is admitted to practice before the US Supreme Court, the US Court of Appeals for the Second and Sixth Circuits, and the US District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky, the Southern District of Indiana, and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
- Work Highlights+
Some of Jon’s recent matters include:
- Advising the largest diversified health and human services provider in the U.S. in connection with its termination of management agreements and exit from operations in multiple markets, including successfully resolving related multimillion dollar claims
- Representing a special purpose governmental entity in litigation challenging the constitutionality of an ad valorem property tax
- Representing a large property developer in connection with claims against its construction manager and insurer arising from a catastrophic fire
- Obtaining dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of the manager of numerous skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities in a federal lawsuit involving claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment and tortious interference
- Representing employers in connection with actions alleging tortious interference with business relations and violation of non-competition provisions
- Representing a national banking association in its role as trustee for the University of Kentucky’s long-term disability plan (including an appeal to the Kentucky Supreme Court)
- Representing the Kentucky Secretary of State and State Board of Elections in connection with various constitutional challenges related to the Kentucky General Assembly’s legislative redistricting process and Kentucky’s ballot access framework for political groups (including successfully opposing an appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and a petition for certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court)
- Representing a leading design firm in connection with a professional negligence action
- Representing homeowners in connection with claims against their general contractor and subcontractors arising from a catastrophic fire that occurred during their home remodel
- Advising family members in litigation involving ownership and control of numerous closely held companies
- Representing businesses, property owners and neighborhood associations in connection with proposed real estate developments
- Community & Personal Activities+
Before law school, Jon served in President William J. Clinton’s administration as a member of the White House advance staff, and continued through the 2016 presidential election to serve as an aide to President Clinton and Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton. Jon also worked in the past presidential campaigns of Gen. Wesley K. Clark (Ret.), Senator John F. Kerry and Secretary Clinton.
Jon maintains a strong interest in public service and is active in the Louisville community. In 2016, Southern Living magazine recognized Jon as one of fifty “Southerners of the Year.” Jon currently serves as Board Chair of Louisville’s Waterfront Botanical Gardens and is a member of the Rotary Club of Louisville.